Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Smirk / yuzz

Combo stealing from the Jill Bradford column(s).

Harrison, age 8: I play video games, and I think I turned out all right.

Patina, teacher: So what are ways that we can become friends with Jesus?
Mason, age 7: Ask our moms!

The Picture of Dorian Gray. I tell you, this one was a doozy. All the talking from chapter to chapter made finishing slow to come by. I will say that the combination of this book and watching two "Miss Marples" from Masterpiece Collection, made for a fun reading of Exodus' first couple chapters in my weak Irish accent. Where's Bonnie Gager when you need her?
Nonetheless, going all the way through the short novel is worthy of anyone's time. For me, I read the theme of sin's stronghold on the soul. Of the small idea that leads into a life of vanity, that leads into much more sin, and to see that sin affecting the community.

To me it is also a story of a need for confession. How much sin weighs on our conscience, and is in need of a gracious listening ear. I think of people who may be distraught by their own sin and the lie that entraps them consists of the unwillingness of our Father to forgive. How far from the truth! How do we lovingly remind people (and ourselves) that God will forgive us? I feel like one of the obstacles is this thing called guilt. I've seen it affect my own life, thinking that what I've done is too great.

Jesus is greater.

Confess, therefore, because He is faithful and just.

Finally, this is a story of choosing your friends wisely. I had to stop myself a few times to remember that a certain character truly is despicable. While what he says is nothing short of honey, it comes with the sting of death! Be careful who you listen to, even.. especially when it sounds pretty!

No comments: