Thursday, July 1, 2010

The fundamentals

Working with little tikes is not my forte. It sure is a lot of fun though. This week reminded me of my eight weeks in the Reno area teaching VBS from week to week. I remembered how the first day is always a little rough because the kids are learning to trust you as someone in authority. By day 2, things are usually a lot better, and by the final days, you're thankful it's over only because of how much energy is spent.
After all, the kids are crazy and goofy and have about a thousand times more energy than you do. Nonetheless, if I had that much energy, I would love to keep going. It's cool to see their hearts. And on a less spiritual aspect, I LOVE watching them pass the ball to each other like a team, and watching their excitement when their teammates score. As Jacob (first in the line below) said, "I get the assist for that one, right!?"

I also remembered how much we need to encourage the students. We need to remember to be firm, but to also follow up the reprimands with love. How many times I had to stop a kid from travelling or double-dribbling with a shout, and to also say, "I want to see you become an even better basketball player than you already are--that's why I have to stop you from making the same mistake twice."
Kids are great. Sports ministry is also great. I hope I get to do some of this in Argentina, even if it is futbol!

No comments: