Saturday, June 26, 2010

I guess it's also called hope

At Wednesday's Bible study, we talked about God's omnipresence. We looked at Jeremiah 23:23-24:

Am I only a God nearby, declares the Lord,
and not a God far away?
Can anyone hide in secret places
so that I cannot see him? declares the Lord.
Do I not fill heaven and earth? declares the Lord.

As we spent time talking about what it means for God to be with us at all times, we talked about our feelings of loneliness. When we are lonely, we can be comforted in knowing God--the one who truly cares for us--is there too. Maybe we don't experience joy in those times, but we aren't completely lost.

Christy put it well when she said it was the difference between being sad and being in despair. On one hand, we can be overwhelmed by the feeling of sadness and also know it will not last forever. On the other hand, in utter despair there is no hope for the future because of not believing in a loving God who knows what's best for us.

All this was encouraging to me, and I didn't want to forget it.

1 comment:

Marla said...

I think it's very cool, how, not many days ago I read that chapter in Jeremiah too, and those very verses really stuck out and stuck to me. I'm thinking of adding them to my list of scripture to memorize. <3