Thursday, November 12, 2009

You could call it eavesdropping..

I was sitting in Lollicup this evening, hoping for small groups to start. Unfortunately, no one came, so I just read for a little bit.

However, I was soon distracted by a guy talking with a girl. They were talking about how she can lose weight effectively. Aside from the underlying issue that you should never tell a girl she needs to lose weight (that's what girl friends are for--good ones who can say so gracefully), some of his words were quite fascinating.

At one point, I heard him say, "Look, what is it going to take for you to realize how much you need this? So far you have been using methods that only lead to more problems" (she had mentioned substance abuse to help prevent cravings). "I can offer you a way that is healthier, and that will leave you with more confidence. You'll feel so much better about yourself!"

A little later, he said, "It's about realizing that you can't do it on your own. And what is interesting is that your friends are probably going to make fun of you for the way you're doing it. But you know what? They're really saying those things because they're envious of you. And if that's the case, then they're not your true friends. You'll need to get rid of them! You need to surround yourself with people who actually care about you!"

I remember him saying something too along the lines of the girl's inability to control her hunger. "It's a process. Getting yourself to master those forces takes time and effort. It always seems easy at first," he said. "But it's the people who really stick to it that will see results."

You could say I was wrapped up in this conversation. All the things this man was saying equates to what it's like when we're trying to help others see how great living for Christ can be!

"You have to see it for yourself," he had even said. "You have to really want it, or else it will never amount to anything."

And sometimes, we'll have to let go of the people we thought were our friends. Sometimes we have to push through even when it seems we can't stop desiring the worldly things. All of our efforts to save ourselves aren't working. When will you see that?

And sort of on a related topic, in terms of health, I happened to be reading Psalm 74 and I simply love this verse:
My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart
and my portion forever. (Psalm 74:26)

2 comments:

lucaspick said...

wow, interesting. And how much more important is it for us to discipline ourselves for Godliness than physical fitness. Yeah, that would have been an awkward moment for me to be there and listen to. I would feel like an upside down turtle :) haha. Yet, It depends on how well you know them. I could see myself talking to my sister about weight if she brought up the topic. That is a really touchy topic with women I know. If it is done, it has gotta be done with grace. It can be difficult to talk about for men too, but they are more concerned with their strength.

Sometimes it is also difficult to share Christ. "Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how to answer each one." It should be easier for us to talk about eternal things because they are more important.

Unknown said...

exactly. it should be easier for us to talk about especially if it matters so much to our lives.

i pray for more moments to do so. good verse too. thanks for that!