Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A little poem

Before Fusion starts tonight,
I choose to reminisce
on my recent observations at the Verizon store.
What? Were you expecting me to rhyme?

To begin with our helper was wearing a paisley tie.
No offense, but I always think of McClaskey's words,
how no one who aspires to great leadership
would ever be caught wearing that pattern.
"Stripes or bold," she always said.

And I think about how I at least wish I knew how to tie a tie.
Oh me.
Oh my.
(for those who needed it.)

Then there was the phrase,
"Yes, we'll replace it free for $50."
The woman he was speaking to did not blink twice,
yet it simply does not add up. Or it does,
I just haven't taken math in years.

The phones lined up along the wall included touch screens
and cameras and instant messaging and music downloads
and fancy names like Smooth and Fire.
But when I want service for an important call, I have nowhere to turn.

A girl was teaching another customer how to protect the touch screen.
"As long as you don't put it in your back pocket,
the phone will be fine." Fair enough I thought.
"So do you not put your phone in your back pocket?"
she was asked.
"Well, I do.." and somehow the sentence trailed off.
It must be nice to work at a phone store.

1 comment:

Marla said...

Start rhyming! I mean it!!
Anybody want a pistachio?