Saturday, November 7, 2009

Happy Birthday Miss Ussery

Today is an important one, because it marks the day that the beautiful, amazing, Miss Maxine Ussery came into the world 96 years ago!!

To me, she is a woman of integrity and grace. And this comes from only knowing her for a little while before I shipped out to college and such. I used to play dominoes with her and the rest of the senior adults at my church every Wednesday morning during the summer. Besides learning how to play Mexican Train and Chicken Foot, I saw what it means to be a woman of God for all of one's life. I watched how she took care of her friends, and prayed for many. I listened to her tell some of the most amazing stories! She is one who when she leaves a room full of people, it was made better because she was there. I want to be like Miss Ussery.

My favorite words of hers come from her talking about her future pallbearers. She's planning to have only women carry her out, saying, "No man ever took me in my lifetime, why should they take me out now?" She's a clever one I tell you! Although, I am still very confused as to why no man ever snatched this gem!

Speaking of amazing women, I feel the need to shout out some thanks for some beautiful women in my life as of late. In this week alone, I got one of the most encouraging emails from Masha. I got a letter from Lexie, all the way from Parris Island, SC (it was a comical letter, explaining some of the training she's going through). I have two important visits coming up that include Liz and Sharon! Ashton emailed some great news--she's probably moving to Chicago (and who also might be visiting soon)! Ariel and I talked for a long time the other day, and it was so neat to know how to better be praying for her. Then there was a fantastic conversation with Melissa V., and the pending trip to "Into the Fire" with Yolanda and Linda (two of the older women of our church). Oh yeah!

I praise God for putting such wonderful people in my life!

Last night, was another sweet gal moment too. After I chatted with Kendra for a long time about life, we got to be there for someone else going through a rough time. What I've noticed is how much presence matters. I definitely did not know what to say, and sometimes too, if I was in the other's shoes I know I wouldn't necessarily want people just talking to me the whole time either.

Interestingly enough, I had started off saying how much it stinks to be a woman because of all of the emotions we go through. But by the end I realized that it's one of our gifts. It's a beautiful thing that God gives us the chance to empathize in ways men aren't always capable. Sometimes it's annoying to cry so much, but it's also such a great release. And having other women of integrity around mitigates the pain. That's why I have to be (and delight in being) thankful for all of these women. Especially Miss Ussery!

No comments: