Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Yampa

Last weekend, Kendra and I had a last hurrah. We spent a day and a half at her grandparents house in Yampa, Colorado. If you ask, "Where is that?" I would say, "Exactly."

On the way to, we stopped at this random place entitled "Spontaneous moment for art." Or something to that effect. It was more funny than cool. But we made the most of it any way.
When we arrived, it was beautifully simple. Here is grandpa staring out the window watching the "exciting" tractors go by as they make a road. At the same time, I enjoyed looking out the window as the weather literally changed every hour or so. Example:

8:15am Wake up thinking, "Yeah I'm going fourwheelin today!"
8:17am Look out the window. Thick flakes of snow flying down. Nevermind..
10:30am It's sunny again! Can we go? Can we go?
10:32am "It's too muddy." All the snow had melted..
11:15am Snow again.
11:45am Snow melted again.
More importantly, I got to shoot a gun. Another should-have-been-Texas experience. It was only a .22, but I was still proud of my second attempt seen below. And it's true that I should have shot left-handed, but that bench you see above, didn't have a seat for lefties. This truly is a right dominated country. Sigh.
Below is the path Kendra and I took on the four wheelers. I had a blast driving through puddles, and we also got to see this large hawk pretty close up before it flew away. Other than still being pretty cold, we laughed and laughed..
Other events of the weekend include playing Turkey Tracks and losing miserably, enjoying a dinner with a youth intern from Germany, and enjoying other pieces of small town life. Perhaps my favorite was the 100-year-old grocery store where, after you had gathered your groceries, you say, "Just put it on my tab." Sweet!

Honestly, I was thinking that their house (with its low ceilings) would be a perfect retreat center. It's so peaceful and simple, and better yet, no internet!!! :D

1 comment:

Marla said...

You actually look good with a rifle in your hands (further proof you're a Texan) and good aim as well, I see. Niiiiice.