Saturday, May 29, 2010

Spring cleaning leads to a find

That was probably my most journalistic title. Speaking of journalism, I would like to include this picture:Meet Michael. Throughout my time in Colorado, I have been encouraging him to go to Northwestern. He is valedictorian (one of 18 at RV), highly involved in newspaper, and is just downright funny. He has a fantastic brother in the junior high group, and I work with his dad who signs my checks. Any way, Michael chose Indiana. There is a happy picture of us which I labeled "He is forgiven." This one is entitled, "But we will forever be rivals."

I just include this tidbit of information because while procrastinating from cleaning my room, I noticed that he put this picture as his profile, and it made me laugh out loud.

What I actually intend on writing about, is a cool find from my three months in Nevada, soon after I had turned 20.

I am here as a missionary. I have travelled for three weeks now learning about the culture in Nevada--the culture of slot machines in every nook and cranny, how very few adults are actually from the state, and I am fascinated by the sight of mountains everywhere I turn. Then I remember:

I am here as a missionary.

When I first came, I was reading and re-reading 1 and 2 Peter. These short letters were written to the persecuted Christians. They were to encourage Christians of the time to persevere in doing good. That it was much better to be persecuted for doing what God has called them to do than to be persecuted for doing wrong.
  • Slaves were asked to continue in full submission to their masters, to "live as servants of God."
  • Wives in the same way were asked to be submissive to their husbands, who in turn were to be considerate to their wives
These comments, as well as an overall command to love deeply, were meant for our faith. That it may be proved genuine for the glory of God.

But what struck me most was within the first description of those to whom the first letter is addressed. Peter writes, "To God's elect,
strangers in the world."

I would read this line over and over and think of my responsibility here as a missionary. I certainly match the description of a stranger. As a child of the sweat tea drinking, non-slot machine, flatlands, south, I am definitely in foreign territory!

The verse that struck me even more was 1 Peter 1:17

"Since you call on a Father who judges each man's work impartially, live your lives as
strangers here in reverent fear."

Then I thought back to a time where I witnessed to a man in a mall. He worked at a wig kiosk, and I had just felt I should talk about Jesus to him. Sure enough, then and there, he prayed to receive Christ as his Lord and Savior!

The most intriguing part of this experience was it occurred in my hometown, at a mall I shop at somewhat frequently.

Was I a stranger then?

Yes.

Because what makes me a stranger both at my home state and here in Nevada is the fact that I have a Father in heaven watching what I do. He is an impartial judge, and I am here for His glory, not mine.

Even though I know it's not easy living as a stranger when I'm at home, this is to be my call as well as the call for all of you. We are never to get too comfortable in this world, because we are in it and not of it, because we are not here to impress the people. We are here for our Father's sake alone.


We too are missionaries. Here and now, strangers in our homeland.

1 comment:

Kala said...

i love it. i'm so glad we got to experience nevada together. and i love you!