Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Gidget

This is the last week of programming at church. I find it funny that we planned a luau themed party for the final Fusion, and it snowed in the evening. I'm so glad I wore jeans instead of my shorts and swimsuit as originally planned. But don't worry, I was still decked out in my Hawaiian shirt from seventh grade, as well as my kukui nut lei. It was intriguing all the adults who made sure I knew from what my lei was made. How could I forget? When you eat kukui, you go poo-poo-ey, after all. Ha. I'm still in middle school in my head.

As I researched some ideas for the party, I thought it would be cool to have a Hawaiian themed movie play in the background while we listened to Jack Johnson. I'm all about ambience. And since the Rick and Anita movie featuring Cap'n Geech and the Shrimp Shack Shooters doesn't actually exist (sad face), I had to settle for either Blue Hawaii or Gidget. Gidget won in the end because that's what the library could put on hold for me fastest (still waiting for Elvis!).

Here's a reminder lesson. Always, always screen your movies before you show them to kids. Granted, I didn't have the sound on, as it was just a background thing, but still. I forgot about the character dubbed Loverboy. And as I watched it later in the evening, I kept thinking SCANDALOUS!!!

Nonetheless, as I was exhausted post-Fusion, too tired to study Spanish, too tired to read, I did something silly. I watched the entire Gidget trilogy. Initial reactions (other than scandal):
  • Ah! It would be so fun to learn how to surf!
  • Hello James Darren!
  • I have a new vocabulary word: portmanteau. (Thinking of Jill)
  • Why can't we have swimsuits like hers these days?
  • It's hilarious that it's a different Gidg every time, but the love interest is the same.
  • I think I found the inspiration to all of the Olson twin movies..
Any who, I shouldn't have stayed up that late. I'm such a girl. And only a foot past 4'3''. Does that make me? haha. Just playin.

Because of all the late 1950s scandal (even suicide is mentioned! gasp!), I found myself chuckling multiple times. I know I wouldn't show it to my students (EVER), but I'm definitely tempted to see what some of my friends think!

2 comments:

Marla said...

You know, I can still see in my mind's eye that picture of you in Hawaii in 7th grade wearing that Hawaiian shirt, and you looked cuter than Gidget. And that kukui nut necklace played a significant role in the decision to adopt your brother into our family. =P

Unknown said...

hahahahahaha

it's true!