Thursday, May 27, 2010

Before you consider youth ministry..

Let this be a warning:

Last week, I scheduled a zoo date with two students for when they got out of school today. On Sunday, J was still able to come, I just needed to check with S. I call S and she says yes..

"Oh wait, I forgot that I'm doing such-and-such."

When I ask her when she's done with that, she says 3pm. Okay, we'll go after.

Also this past Sunday, M wanted to hang out. She said she could only hang out Thursday after school. Perfect, she could join me, J and S. She said I should check if Jo could come. So I call.

No response. I double check (as should always be done I've learned) with J and S one more time about today. Yes, they said. They're still in.

This morning.. before I normally wake up, let's just say that.. Jo says, yes, she can join us for at least a lunch.

Back up. We notice that the zoo closes at 6. Would it be in our best interest to pay X and only be able to stay for 1.5 hours (if you subtract travel time to and from zoo)? Answer: no. We'll just hang out any way, and try the zoo next week.

As I'm driving to pick up M for a lunch before leaving, I get a text from J--sorry, it's her brother's birthday, she can't hang out after all. M texts soon after, "Oh! I forgot I have to get my passport today."

Hmm..

Jo can hang out for a little bit, but has to leave in an hour. That's fine. We'll go to Wendy's. Oops, we both drive to the wrong Wendy's. Which shortens our time together. Sad.

I get ready to pick up S at 3:3o (new time), but then get a text at 3:15. She has practice tonight so she doesn't think she'll be able to hang out after all.

Wait.. if we were to go to the zoo, had S factored in practice at all? Confusion.

The warning is that if you can't deal with flexibility, you can't deal with teenagers (much less most college students). Admittedly, it does get frustrating when you have a limited time. I'm honestly a little frustrated knowing how soon I'm leaving. If there were still six months left, I'd say, typical. Any way, consider yourself warned :P

2 comments:

Marla said...

Yes! I remember it well. =)

marty attempting to blog said...

yeah i had something similar, it start with 4 students all gung ho about going to a movie on sat afternoon, All of them cancelled within 12-1 for a 1:30 show all had stuff come up that couldn't be changed. but had 3 different students join me at for the 2:15....then I saw 2 who cancelled on me during a popcorn run in the lobby getting tickets for a 3:30 showing....aaahhhh