Friday, July 16, 2010

Living for that moment

Another week has ended (though I guess not officially), and it brings me to only 52 days until Argentinian life begins. Only 27 days until all the insane traveling kicks off. Only 2 days until I get to hang out with Nolan! :D

This week I learned a lot. And I'll include my only recommended scene from the movie The Back Up Plan which I saw with my sister-in-law.Anthony Anderson (paraphrased): Having kids is kind of like this: it's REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY HARD.. and then there's this beautiful moment--
Alex O'Laughlin: --that makes it all worthwhile?
Anthony: Naw man. But it's a great moment. And after that it's REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY HARD!!! And then you have another great moment.

Welcome to my life this week. I'm optimistic about how it went, though I won't deny it was tough. I've mentioned a lot of what I wished for before, but I'll add something else about what was watched on tv/movies. For this last day, I had a moment where I just prayed with them. I asked God to help us to love each other well, and to encourage each other. Soon after the prayer I made the rule where there would be no more physical fighting, no more using the words "Shut up" and no more calling each other names for the rest of the day. The punishment was time out, for which the time in the corner during time out would increase throughout the day. As a reward, I took them to a movie. A funny movie, don't get me wrong, but one in which these three things happened:

-The "minions" kept hitting each other (hint, hint)
-They called each other idiots.
- They said "shut up."

Talk about frustrating. I remember talking with Liz about the movie Up, and how the themes in that movie were not exactly younger generation appropriate at times. She mentioned how scary it would be to have your hero as a young kid turn out to be the enemy, and I realized I had never thought of it that way.

Things change when there's a kid involved.

Got to talk with Catie (Marshalek) Skogen tonight about some of this, as she too has a bun in the oven (hooray!). She realized how tight of a rein she and her husband will need to place on her tongue when their little girl comes into the world.

And it's not like kids pick up on all these things, but we must be careful about what they do. I was always impressed with Yolanda for protecting Noah from certain tv shows because of their teenager themes. While most kids are aiming to be teenagers, it's much more important that they be kids. You only get to be so once!

Talking with Catie was refreshing, as well as a short 3-mile run to end the day. Looking forward to resting tomorrow.

No comments: