Saturday, July 31, 2010

Mmm what you wear

Perhaps it's just me that thinks this way, but I always feel that with international travel, I already have one strike against me for being American. I've heard too many stories of friends being yelled at, "You stu-peed Uh-meri-CAHN!" I'm very wary of the rolled eyes, or the cold shoulders when our group is too loud. For safety reasons, too, I want to be careful. I remember my team leader from the Russia trip who said that most Russians could just look at us and know where we were from. It's key, therefore, for me to be more of a chameleon.

Which is why, several months ago, I emailed my Argentinian team leader my concern particularly with clothes. I don't want to bring any more than what everyone else already has, I had decided. I don't want to bring too much; I also don't want to bring things I'm not willing to share. Additionally, I don't need as much any way. I had written down some personal goals at the beginning of this year, and one of them was the goal to reduce my life to two suitcases. I didn't know for sure at the time of the making of this list that I would be traveling as I am, but I had started getting rid of a lot then.

I still have too much. Nonetheless, the following list I received from my team leader helped me think more simplistic:

Clothing
2-3 long sleeve shirts
3-5 short sleeve shirts
2 pairs of shorts
4 pairs of jeans
1 casually-nice outfit
1-2 outfits that can get dirty
Enough underwear
Enough socks
Sneakers, Flip Flops, Flats (1 pair each)
Warm clothes, Pullovers, warm jacket

That's it. Seriously. Yes, for the two years. And yes, I'm thankful it uses the word "enough" for two of the items.

I've been practicing throughout this summer to live with only these items, but I'll admit right now, I have had more clothes usually. The shoe thing has worked out--I've only worn my tennis shoes or TOMs outside of flip flops (not to mention I'm a fan of being barefoot).

I have been blessed. I had a garage sale to encourage me to unload my clothes. I had already put in boxes before coming here what I was willing to sell, and I had gotten rid of at least two boxes of clothes since January (now that I mention that, I'm a little embarrassed that I had so much).

The other beautiful part of this story is that Peggy took me out shopping this week. I thought about what a God thing that she had decided to do so, "In order for you to have at least one pair of nice clothes," she had said. (1 casually-nice outfit: check!) What surprised me too, was that she insisted Banana Republic. I don't remember telling her, but I've told plenty of others that if I had the cash, all of my clothes would come from this store. Okay, I really like the jeans from Old Navy, but everything else.. Banana baby!

Not only that, but Peggy just so happens to be a whiz with the sewing machine. So, instead of buying any other clothes for myself for the trip, I can just have her make alterations on any of my ill-fitting clothing items.

The key is that it makes me even more aware of the clothing items I should keep. If it's so important for me to be unique with my clothes, then I simply need to make sure that the pieces I own are versatile. The dress, for instance, that I picked out, can be dressed down with flip flops, made fun with a scarf, or made super business-y with a blazer. So as not to go into too much detail, I will say that What Not to Wear has helped me think this through.

In the long run, what I wear isn't all that important. I'm a fan of color, but I should be thankful that I have clothes at all. I have enough to keep me cool in the summer, and warm in the winter. Many folk out there may not have the list I was given. Someone once reminded me of the flowers in the field that do not even work to be clothed so majestically. Why must I worry about what I will eat or wear? I'm worth more than those flowers in the sight of God. Just a thought.

1 comment:

Marla said...

Great thoughts! I'm still working down my list of "stuff" as well. It's a constant challenge.