Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Oh wise sage

Tonight was good and bad for Fusion.

I was so sad for the lack of people who came. We had six. But they are a great six, those who came, don't get me wrong. I just wish there were more.

It made me worry that they wouldn't enjoy the 4Cs classic game I had planned called Ask The Sage. In it, leaders dress up like the crazy oracles from Delphi (or at least as I picture they would have dressed) and hide in various rooms throughout the church. Once a student finds a sage, they must ask, "OH GREAT AND WISE SAGE, MAY I ENTER YOUR HOUSE?"

The students have 10 questions to answer, and each sage has the answer to one question. Thus, it is a challenge to figure out who has which question, as you may only ask one question at a time, and then move on. Many of the sages will also require students to perform a (hercurlean?) task before they receive an answer.

As I had to explain the game while sages went off and hid, I didn't have time to pick a good room. I ended up in the kitchen, which has a gaping hole in one side. So I chose to sit guru-style on top of a table and hum a little. Like I do.

One student, one whom I've always believed to be annoyed by me, walked by. I held my pose. He stopped. I hummed. A good ten seconds later, he just busts out laughing, and I join him.

Absolutely classic.

My challenge was that students had to eat a spoonful of peanut butter. The two students who correctly asked the question to which I knew the answer were hysterical during this feat. Both had taken the large spoonful and just shoved it in their mouths. Brandon forgot he had gum in his mouth. Tyler about choked, and later described it as his brain kept saying, "You can't swallow it now... nope, still too much... gag!"

So I know at least, they had a good time. Next week is lasertag, so that seems promising as well.

No comments: