Thursday, September 10, 2009

See picture below

I watched the "Starving Jesus" documentary today at work. It features Craig Gross and J.R. Mahon, founders of xxxchurch.com, going on a 40 day journey throughout America encouraging church-goers to get out of the pews and into the community.

It's fascinating because the focus is not always on the community service projects that they do take part in, or on the reactions of the churches to their message, or even their message at all. The film instead tends to zoom in on the relationships between Craig, J.R. and Dave their driver. We especially get a view of how the 40 day fast that they do in conjunction with the journey takes a toll on the two main men.

What I will say is this. I loved that these pastors showed their true colors. Sometimes they were mean-spirited, just downright jerks. And yet, you know that they love Jesus, because they wouldn't take part in something like this (40 days without food is CRAZY) if it weren't for Him. Maybe their story is an example of selfish pride, or maybe they were being real with how hard it can be to follow Christ and be convicted about the need for the church to reach out to the community the way God intended. Satan would surely be afraid of that gospel. I would imagine the father of lies trying to tear them apart as much as possible.

I (and J.R. too) was moved most by a woman in Louisiana who was part of a very generous ministry. As I scan my room of the many things I have (even after having gotten rid of a lot from my most recent move), I am ashamed of how little I have given. Not just of what I own, but my time and other resources. I realize how easy it is to be distracted, and to be selfish. I am also encouraged by how merciful our Lord is to us. How much He looks at our heart, allowing us to pick back up to the place we left Him. Okay, I may be getting some of this from the book I'm currently reading (more on that later). Nonetheless, I can also vouch that the Lord was looking to the heart of these men as they struggled to see the change/conviction in one another during their time of fasting (one even stops fasting a few days early). I can see how it would be easy for the viewer of the film too, to think that it was all for show.

More importantly, I agree that we need to stop starving Jesus. We need to do something for our community; having compassion on the masses the way Jesus did during His time on earth. Thinking of another pretty sweet ministry: You have one life. Do something.

In other words, I recommend this documentary to be taken with a grain of salt.

No comments: