Sunday, September 20, 2009

Post 100

..is dedicated to dearest Lexie. She is heading out tonight to join the Marines, leaving for three months of basic. That means no contact for at least a month, and after that, all I can send her are letters. But I definitely plan on that, as I can't imagine how hard it is to be one of the few gals amidst so much testosterone, in such a physically/mentally/emotionally challenging atmosphere far way from home (South Carolina to be exact!).

We had our last hurrah at the Sultan Grill, a fantastic Middle Eastern restaurant where I enjoyed lentil soup and baba ganouj (sorry no pictures, mom) and conversation concerning all that Lexie was about to face, as well as everything leading up to this point for her.

Lexie is an amazing gal with wanderlust (like me), a compassionate heart, and quite a head on top of her shoulders. I have met with her almost every week up to this point (except for when she was gone for a ten week tour of the Middle East), and each week is always filled with deep conversations, tea (mmm.. jasmine..), and dreams of going to another place and learning about the culture. Which is why I include the following picture:
She brought back for me an Israeli dreidel that is flippin sweet--I mean look at it! (She also bought me postcards, to add to the collection. A Mr. Burns, "Excellent," goes well here.)

She is the reason why I've added Lebanon to my list of must-see places. She is part of the reason I love being in full-time ministry. She has been my foreign movie watching buddy over the past year, which conveniently leads me to my next point.

On Monday evening, we watched a two-hour Christiane Amanpour special called Generation Islam. The news report covered all sorts of happenings in that part of the world that have really got me thinking. I've started this book, and even though I still have two hundred pages left, I recommend it. Who knows where it will take you.Shoot. Who knows where the ideas in this book will take me? Inshallah.. except of course, I refer to Jesus, not Allah. Just to be clear.

Moral of the story: Lexie will very much be missed, but I am so excited for her future! Oh, and Semper Fi.

1 comment:

Marla said...

As I scrolled up on that book and read the cover, I got chills. I want to read it. And as for pics of food... check out the blog I'll be posting in the next half hour or so.
<3 mom