Wednesday, September 9, 2009

I thought

..that I knew how to read the Bible well.With the completion of one of this year's new year's resolutions, I realized that sometimes I go about reading God's Word all wrong. As one friend said, "If we interpret the Bible to mean everything, it doesn't mean anything." Thus, I am challenged to not just have the Bible say what I want it to say. Or mean what I think it means. The layers (historical and literal context, audience, writer) are meant to magnify God, after all.

I mean, I can specifically think of a time when I read a verse in James and I felt like it meant that I should respond in a way that wasn't even addressed in the whole book of James. I confess. I'm not perfect.

Now I look forward to How to 2.

1 comment:

marty attempting to blog said...

I realized that after reading that book a few times. I remember hearing the Bible was Gods love letter to me. This makes me very important....but if think of it as how HE REVEALS HIMSELF,GLORIFIES HIMSELF, AND HOW REDEEMS THE WORLD....I become much smaller. Gigleo puts it well as our significant insignificance.