Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Coming full circle: a 6 year process

"Jonathan Cubley would like to add you as a friend."

I was surprised by this. I hadn't heard from ex-boyfriend "Bubbly" Cubley in years. And instead of responding right away, I stopped to think about it. The story is that we dated over a summer. If you could call it that. I mean, neither of us had cars. But we talked and hung out a lot. Good times. When school started up though, it wasn't working out, and he decided to break up with me.

Via poem.

I laugh about it now, though at the time, I was crushed. And it was remembering this poem, which I still possess, that made me think twice before accepting the friend invite. A week later, however, he sent me a message saying I was silly not to be his friend. We've grown up and changed, he said. "And I did value our friendship."

I responded, "I guess I'm still just struggling with the, 'I'll see you later/I'm not Darth Vator' couplet" (his spelling of Vator). But then I decided to accept the invite.

That's right, that was part of the break up poem (at least it's better than a post-it note??). Other highlights I'd like to include:

"All that we've shared,
my heart is teared.
hehe I can't rhyme,
but yet I do it all the time.
Laugh it off
this is no cough..."

So the friendship on fb began a few months ago. I hadn't heard from him until yesterday, on fb chat. He wrote:

"hello, my name is darth vader;
I've been gone so long call me Ike Taylor;
No one remember my name;
But I hole the world in my brain;
Callin me the big mocheesmo John Wayne;
I hope you are doing well and stay doing your thang;
sorry I'm bored."

To which, I laughed out loud. I definitely give him credit for creativity, but my oh my how strange life can be sometimes.

3 comments:

Josh Crain said...

Probably one of my favorite posts you've written. :)

Unknown said...

do you like it bc of the reference to a steeler? lol.

it was definitely a hilarious moment that i'm glad i could share.

Josh Crain said...

No, that was just a bonus. :)

I just love the full circle (had a similar situation happen to me recently) and, or course, the poems rocked my face off.