Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Tutoring

I decided that I have lots of down time. Not enough to get a part time job just yet, especially with events like fall retreat, corn maze, and the whole crazy service month of November to try to figure out and coordinate. But enough time to tutor a couple of hours each week.

My first time to do so was last Thursday, at a local elementary school. I got to assist Tez (short for Cortez) with a persuasive letter, and then a kid named Matt with some third grade math. I enjoyed reminiscing over my times at Lincolnwood Elementary School my freshmen and sophomore years of college under Mrs. Mandell. Kids are often so stubborn, and yet, it's always fun to figure out what the student is confident with, and honing in on that in order to help him/her excel in the other areas as well.

Today, I went to Mr. Banich's school to help Ana with geometry. I laughed at myself because it took me a couple of minutes to understand the problem. I will blame it on being a communications major ;). Thankfully, it clicked, and I think we were able to solve the problems in the short half hour time span we were given. Mainly, she needs to learn to consistently take notes to help her memorize the formulas.

Then, as I was heading back to work for a meeting (during which I played Tetris on facebook. I mean, I do take my job seriously. It was a short meeting, I swear!), I watched as the students went to their next class. I loved seeing all of the colors--as in hair, and clothes. I also laughed because I think that was the most I had heard the F word said in such a small interval of time since, well, Goodfellas. One girl was in the middle of shouting it when she saw me and the visitor pass sticker on my shirt. "Uhh..." she smiled coyly.

I look forward to these times.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to tutor math! I'm glad I sent you that math book--I knew that it would come in handy sometime :)