Sunday, September 14, 2008

Dream big

I'm a little nervous to talk about this one. But here it is.

I've been reading Matthew. Presently I'm stuck in the famous Sermon, as it is full of some major challenges to my life. I find myself making sure I'm reading what I'm reading. "God, you're really in control of that? You care more about my heart than my outer actions?"

But before that, came the story of Jesus' birth. While traditionally, stored away for the month of December, I wonder if we're not missing something. One thing that caught my attention was the use of dreams. Five dreams are used to be sure of the safety of the birth of the child.

Which led to a rabbit trail of other dreams used throughout the Bible:
I thought about Jacob's dream of the stairway to heaven (try your best not to think of the song!)
I thought about the dream of Joseph, or those he interpreted.
The vision of Peter when Cornelius makes a visit.

Why do we not think of our own dreams as messages from God?

So I prayed. Perhaps foolishly, but I prayed that my eyes would be open and that I would either have a dream that God spoke to me through, or that I would have the opportunity to interpret a dream.

Two days later, a friend mentions at dinner that she had a very weird dream. She explains the dream, and with everyone around her asking more questions and trying to figure out the meaning of the dream, I stand in silence. She finishes and says, "Interpret that!"

I really wanted to. I mean, I thought of something that the dream could mean, but I know it had more to do with what I wanted it to than asking for an interpretation. I was just so surprised, so scared more like it, that I was too afraid to trust God to take the authority that is already His and say, "Do not interpretations belong to the Lord?"

Conclusion. Again, God is very real, and dreams are too. Yet He is merciful with me when my faith is lacking (which is more often than not, unfortunately). I will continually ask, seek and knock, because the faithFUL, good Father will not give me stone when I ask for bread.

No comments: