Thursday, September 11, 2008

Book Numero Cuatro Since the Move

Reading Through Painted Deserts does two things to me. First, it reminds me of my adventures in Nevada with Kala Glass (check out her song "Let It Go") during the summer 2006. How I wished that I was faithful to my journal during that time! We had also decided that we wanted to go on a roadtrip across the nation in an RV. We want to visit every national park (having been inspired by Yo-See-Might) and just pitch tent, look at the stars, not take showers. Be all rugged and rough, listening for God in true quiet. I also really badly want to meet a bear. But that would just be an extra incentive. :)

The book also makes me wish I had a typewriter for the thoughts in my head. A) because typewriters make cool clicky sounds that put you right back into a good 30s movie and B) I feel like I think like him a lot--taking a lot of simple things in life, and going deeper with them. Or trying to.

This is weird, but perhaps the reason I like ole Miller is that he's sarcastic. Sometimes he goes a little too far, thinking of the chapter 'California' I just read, but overall, I think it's an expression of his constant joy in life. So what if the car breaks down in the middle of the desert. So what if they don't have enough money to buy more than peanut butter and bread. And this is an attitude I find myself to have, or at least desire to have. I desire to be content whatever the circumstance, and even to find the comedy of it all. Never take anything that we like to call "life's curveballs" too seriously.

No comments: