Thursday, September 18, 2008

HP redux

Last night at High Point, we changed things up a bit. The common outline for Wednesday nights is hangout for about an hour and a half (some organized games are involved in that) and then half an hour of a talk and breaking up into small groups to discuss the talk.

Since this has been the way for the past three weeks, we decided to give students a chance to have some more focused, personal time with Jesus. So we played for about an hour, and then we met in the "living room."



Kendra then spoke about the wonderful truth that God is illogical. That He does overcome impossible things in your life. "Are you willing to let Him?" she asked.

While she talked about this, a few of the leaders set up the gym to give students the opportunity to try. There was an area to respond with art, an area for praying for each other, a place to nail things you think are impossible for God to a cross, an area for just plain reading the Bible.

One thing I was concerned about for this evening was the new students who happened to come. And sure enough, I met one student who said he hadn't been there in awhile. My heart went out to him, especially as I noticed that he had a couple of his friends come to, who I had never seen before.

The cool thing, is watching what God does. And sure enough, those boys did a little bit of everything. I saw one read the Bible (we had marked some of the Bibles so that students who had no idea what the Bible is about, could have some direction) for awhile. Another two praying.. And eventually they all ended up in the art section. When I went to the various areas to let students know that it was 8:30, I overheard the boy talk about his reading of the Bible.

"Yeah, I was reading that one Eccloosias book. Eccle- um.. what's it called?"

"Ecclesiastes?" A girl from nearby said.

"Yeah! That one!" he said.

I smirked.

Clean up took awhile, and we left some of the stuff to dry overnight, having used paints. I went to check up on the art stuff this morning and found one drawing with three figures on it, and lots of wavy lines drawn around it. Two figures were close together and one of them had something covering its mouth. Above it was written "Don't expect not to get laughed at when you laugh at others." Then in the corner was the third figure, perhaps on his knees, and written beside it, flowing with the wavy lines said, "a chasing after the wind."

I just think that's awesome. I don't necessarily know what was going on in his head, but I'm excited to see how God continues to work in him.

No comments: