Thursday, April 15, 2010

Not a surprise anymore

It started with Tuesday evening. I was praying about Argentina again. I've noticed that the initial excitement has worn off a bit, and now I'm thinking about all of the responsibility that will be involved in my two years there. That's also exciting, but in a different way. A humbling, I-won't-be-able-to-do-anything-without-Jesus, sort of way. I'm really happy that that's true.

And so I was praying that God would show me more. I don't know what, but something to encourage me.

Then on Wednesday, I was flying to Dallas to see Nolan (pics to come). As I waited in the airport terminal I prayed that God would allow for me to sit by someone interesting. Not that no one is NOT interesting, but I guess I was just thinking someone to talk with.

Two guys sit next to me. Within minutes I realize they're speaking Spanish. The accent is different, and yet somewhat familiar at the same time, if that makes sense. Of course, then I'm too nervous to say anything. As Homer Simpson would say, "D'oh!"

But about halfway to DFW the flight attendant makes the announcement for the gates for connecting flights. I noticed that Buenos Aires is one of the connections. Now I just have to ask. And I do.

They're FROM FLIPPING ARGENTINA!!!! Of all the gin joints in all the world. Basic calculations show that the plane is holding at least 150 people. Really?! Can it be true that the only two on the plane from my destination country are sitting next to me? God is just so cool!!

They were visiting Aspen and Vail, and the teenager (16 years old) is a snowboarder. He told me all the good spots for when I go. hehe. Rockies, check. Alps, check. Andes, here I come!! We talked about how I will be working with a church. They immediately asked, "Catolica o Protestante?" I shrugged. "I just love Jesus."

When we got off the plane, the younger one kissed me on the cheek. Adorable. I immediately texted Kendra to tell her about how crazy it was that these two sat next to me. She responded, "It's you. I'm starting to think things like that are normal." lol

No comments: