Thursday, April 8, 2010

Commercial break

The victim. Michael Bowman. The culprits. Kendra and me. Honestly, I was playing to his ego, but for the record, Kendra had introduced the idea. Worth it? You may judge for yourself.. I recommend watching several times in a row.

Also, if you haven't checked out my latest youtube upload, please go take a look. Our junior boys are just too funny, and Christian did a great job of editing. They are the winners of this year's High Point VMAs. I will work to get the other videos uploaded by next week.

Today was TOMS shoes "One day without shoes" campaign. The idea was to raise awareness of those around the world who don't need shoes by striking up conversations as to why we (about a quarter of a million of us nationwide) were barefoot today.

And I gotta be honest, I was nervous. I had two meetings with folks in public restaurant type places lined up for the day. I kind of thought that I would get kicked out or something. But no problems there. I did get plenty of strange looks, and was able to generate a bit of conversation. Maybe even encouraged one gal to buy a pair of shoes! So that's exciting.

It all reminded me of what it's like when you first go and share the gospel with someone. You're a little worried of what the other might think of you. Not like that should be your focus, I know. But mostly you can't help it. I love when you let God move for you though--some pretty crazy things will happen!!

My other thoughts were really putting myself in someone's shoe.. less feet. It got cold in the evening and I watched a baseball game in that weather. How unhealthy it is to be barefoot all day in the cold. And true cold, versus breezy cool Denver evening air.

And while I didn't go many places, my feet are still black on the bottom (I should probably clean them about now huh?). I realized this is because we've paved everything, which actually makes walking without shoes more bearable. Can you imagine what it's like for someone walking in mud, in rocky soil, etc. etc.? Ouch. What kind of calluses must develop. What kind of diseases can enter through your torn feet?

And it's all just a metaphor for the greater news we can share. The news that brings living water and living bread and now.. shoe covered feet!

Talked with Allyson today. Love her. Watched a documentary on the shroud of Turin--still not convinced but it is fascinating. Helped paint s'more in the High Impact room. We watched Crash and I was reminded of the beauty of the movie. Still cried at the scene where the little girl gets shot. Any other details of the day? Oh. Finished my James Dean marathon by watching Giant. Fantastic!!

1 comment:

marty attempting to blog said...

Giant is sorta kinda based on the King Ranch......the giant part