Thursday, December 10, 2009

Heart and Mind pt 2

I guess the first thing that came to mind about a decision that didn't consider the emotions was the Crusades. But we talked about something else, and it hit me close to home.

Our study leader talked about how the Bible is repetitive about taking care of the orphans and widows. "Now, it can clearly be taken from Scripture that I should go start an orphanage, but that may not be something I'm passionate about," he had said.

Ironically, I have considered taking a month or two to volunteer at an orphanage in the Philippines. But truly, that's not my passion, even though I know that I would enjoy the time doing that. I can see why too, one of my friends had a hard time when she volunteered at one in South America.

For me, it seems, well... who else is going to do it? And yet, Christ has also placed in my heart a different passion. A passion that is just as equally Biblical as working at an orphanage.

So in English, matching the logic of the Biblical mandate for one's life (often found by distinguishing your spiritual gift) with what God has placed inside your heart, the emotion, to do.

This is part of why I love youth ministry, because students are constantly trying to figure out what they are going to do, and where that will be. It's so important to remind them that you don't have to figure it out right away. Circumstances are constantly in flux. Usually though, passions remain.

Any way, again, back to work stuff. Just wanted to type these thoughts down for now. Hopefully I'll get around to a few more before I head out.

P.S. be on the look out for a surprise!!!

No comments: