Friday, December 25, 2009

Hallelujah

Last week, we made a stop by the Konzerthaus Berlin to enjoy the performance of Handel's Messiah by the Academy of Old Music (a literal translation) Berlin orchestra. It was performed in English, although the German translation was included in the program.

We got all dressed up for the event, although you can't really see it in the picture. Let's just say I was wearing sparkly shoes, and that some Italian guy said "Kiss me please!" in the train station. (Don't worry, I gave a defiant "No!" but did chat with him and his friends briefly before boarding our train.)


The music was breath-taking due to the combination of the piano forte, the choir, the stringed instruments (especially the cello!) and the different soloists. I was a little caught off guard though, when the alto turned out to be a man.

More importantly, what I loved about this was that the lyrics are straight from Scripture. Here, in this somewhat God-less country, hundreds were listening to truth about Jesus being the Messiah we all need. It is also why I write about it this morning, because we celebrate this Christmas day as representative of when He first came into this world to save us!

So, after a brief nap in the middle of the music (what can I say? It was very relaxing music!), I spent some time in prayer for the people who filled the hall, hoping that some of the truth would pierce their hearts and that their world would never be the same..

Here's a view of the beautiful concert house and organ:

And here is approximately where we sat. They weren't the best seats in the house, but they got the job done. It was a concert I will never forget!

No comments: