Thursday, August 6, 2009

"Just a kid who knows she's needy"

I was playing the Wii fit the other night, and I was able to complete the tight rope walk. It's a weird concept, and my character often found herself shaking incredibly, pigtails waving. And yet, ladies and gents, I did make it across!

I've thought a lot about balancing. For instance, how will I ever balance two jobs when one of my jobs doesn't even have a boss for me (technically)? Or how do I balance time with students and time with folks my age? Time in Colorado and time in Texas (soon to be across the ocean)?

How do I balance my understanding of a God who isn't based on karma, yet does have rewards for us? How do I truly understand joy to not be based on circumstances? How do I balance my preconceived notions and experiences with what the Bible is really saying, plain and simple, in it's own historical/literal context?

My biggest thing, and maybe this isn't so much a balance question.. is how are we to believe that God is with us?- that He is good?- at all times? It perhaps goes back to the circumstances issue. I know that in the Bible our Father reminds us time and again that He is with us.

Life may be a pit of despair, but I AM with you. (Goes back to Louie Giglio's "Be still" concept--oh! how I get goosebumps just thinking about it.)

But then we must go deeper than that. Not only are we to believe this to be true, that God is Immanuel at all times and He is good (not tame, but good ;), but as Switchfoot writes,

"Let that be enough."

Ay, there's the rub.

I was talking with a friend this week about being in relationships. It's like we hold all these eggs--our often messy history and our fragile identity--that we know we want to share with someone. We maybe find ourselves in that place, and start to hand them one of our eggs. He mishandles it. All we can do is move on.

But what gets difficult is when we love with reckless abandon, and it shows little to no reciprocation. God wants us to love the way He loves us, so shall we let that be enough yet again? Shall we care for people, even evil people (like people who want to kill us. Yeah, might've watched Red Eye and actually pondered this as he was ready to slash the girl to pieces) even if there is only hurt in return?

Do we come to the place where maybe there is no one to share our eggs with, and say, "But with You, Father, that is enough"? Answer: yes.

No comments: