Thursday, August 7, 2008

"Get out of the office..

..as often as possible."

I will start by saying that this job is exactly what I was hoping for. And then, to hear these words come from the pastor's lips just verified it all the more. I have a feeling that I was not meant for the constraining cubicle. I was meant to constantly be on mission outside of the office, engaging in students lives as well as whoever else may come along my path.

So when the pastor (the interns got to share a meal with him on Tuesday) says to get out of here, it's not that he's saying I shouldn't have even stepped foot in Arvada, but it is the recognition of what ministry is all about: relationships. In fact, this wasn't the first time I've understood these words. When I worked in Richmond last summer with Third Pres, I knew it wasn't a good day if I was just hanging out with Abby and Jon in the office (be it a very cool one) from morning till evening.

This does present a challenge to me however, in that for some strange reason, I am intimidated by the telephone. Texting, I have no problem. But calling someone up, even if it's a good friend, has always intimidated me. I, to this day, do not understand why. But I must counter this with praise to God, who has helped me to make a couple phone calls this week, and I was able to set up a Wendy's and Chick Fil A date with two senior gals! (For those of you who really know me, the restaurant choices alone have got me pretty psyched.)

In addition, I have had the opportunity to better get to know a gal my age who volunteers with the students. Her name is Kendra, and I could tell from the start that we will be close friends. I am so thankful for this as well, as I am sure that I will need someone my age here to bond with, when I'm needing a breath of fresh air from the students.

No comments: