Tuesday, March 23, 2010

"God remembers"

I find the more that I study the minor prophets in the OT, the more I realize how great they are. I'm currently reading about Zechariah's ministry and it simply astounds me. Here are some great verses:

"'Jerusalem will be a city without walls because of the great number of men and livestock in it. And I myself will be a wall of fire around it,' declares the LORD, 'and I will be its glory within.'"

And:
"Many nations will be joined with the LORD in that day and will become my people. I will live among you and you will know that the LORD Almighty has sent me to you. The LORD will inherit Judah as his portion in the holy land and will again choose Jerusalem. Be still before the LORD, all mankind, because he has roused himself from his holy dwelling."

The temple walls have no boundaries because God's people, through Jesus, will encompass every tribe, nation and tongue. I also love how the LORD is going to be the wall. And not just any wall. A wall of fire. Take that!

Notice too that livestock are included. Mooooo!!!

Here are a couple comments that I've found:
"The prophet's duty is to quiet the people's apprehensions about the state of the world, to provoke their zeal, give them confidence in their great men, and, above all, assure them that God is returned to them and their sin pardoned." ~George Adam Smith

"As churches we are concerned to protect the truth we presume ourselves to possess by setting up restrictive defenses about it. There are not as many divisions, nor is there as much isolationism, among the nations of the world as are to be found within the church. Men and women are not free to come within the walls which each sect creates unless their passports have received the official stamp of approval by the ecclesiastical authorities of that church body. Whatever makes us think we can fit God into the strait jacket of our narrow ecclesiastical concepts? the suspicion will not down that our man-made walls close God out, not in."

Good stuff. In other news, it was seventy degrees yesterday. Today it rained from 3pm to 5:30pm. By 6:30pm it was a blizzard. We celebrated by going to B-Dubs. I couldn't help but think that this would become a "Remember when.." moment, especially after a few donuts in the church parking lot. I mean.. what?

No comments: