Tuesday, July 28, 2009

RIP, concert shirt

Today marked the end of a concert shirt from my high school days. It was my "Upward Staff" shirt that I had received as a basketball referee long ago for Lakeland. I chose it to wear to the dozens (if not hundreds) of concerts that I went to in my high school days, because it was signable. Forget bringing posters or cds that could be lost/broken/torn amongst the crowd at the concert, just bring a Sharpie, and you're golden!

And I had several names on my back, four which meant a lot to me: Nathan, Chris, Thom, and Owen. But that was a long time ago. Much has changed.

The food fight was amazing. Thirteen students came, which even though small, is still so much more controllable than 14 junior high students or more. We had an all out war at the end, and I was covered head-to-toe in honey, ketchup, mustard, tomatoes, egg yolk, etc. I did not smell good, that's for sure. When I went to take my shower after the event, I looked at the shirt and realized it was over.

In fact, I haven't been to many concerts lately, especially in comparison to high school life. I don't know for sure whether I miss that or not. Part of me loved feeling closer to the band than just hearing them from my car stereo. Part of me feels like maybe it's too much show, and for the pride of saying, "Oh yeah, I've seen them. They were all right." I also think about how many concerts I've been to that were actually quality when it comes to musical talent (I suppose the Fall Out Boy concert wouldn't count? :P).

Any way, that was just a musing. Youth ministry is way better than concerts. Cheaper too.

1 comment:

Marla said...

Reminded me of the youth camp where I ended up walking back to the dorm covered in chocolate, ketchup, mustard, cat food (?), vaseline, etc. It was the shower that took an hour.

Also reminded me of the Disciple Now night where, after we raided one house where we Oreo'd the car windows and forked the yard, they retaliated with peanut butter, jelly, and all those other condiments. We'd set up string and mouse traps all across the front yard (inspired by the movie The Parent Trap) and it turned into an all out war. If only people could understand how much fun you can have when not so clean, yet still sober. =)