Saturday, October 10, 2009

Lost in thought

I don't know how many times I've wanted to exclaim on here how amazing the mountains look each day. I keep telling myself that I'll take a collection of pictures to put up on here, but I always miss it. Then today as I drove by Standley Lake, I was overwhelmed by the beauty therein. The lake had fog all over it's surface, and yet the green of the water behind it was literally shining through! Spectacular. Good work, God. Too bad there are still no pictures, but I thought writing it down might be beneficial in some way.

I was at Barnes and Noble today looking at some language books. I came close to getting the newest edition of the 501 German verbs, but instead just perused the grammar sections inside. I'll stick to my free cd's for now (thanks, library). Plus, I have my two most important phrases so far, "Wo das Toillette ist?" and "Das tut mir leid." :)

Currently, I'm obsessed with the Fray's cover of "Heartless." I know I mentioned it in an earlier post, but ever since the official music video has come out, I am mesmerized.

On the topic of music, there was a rerun of the 2009 VMAs that I watched at the Thomas' house (where I've been for the week). I didn't see the whole thing, but I watched it as pop culture (particularly for teens) homework. Last year I had made comments about the show: about how annoyed I was by the host; about how easily we are drawn in to the lifestyles of the rich and famous (to steal the line from Good Charlotte); about how much rap music steals from other songs (hmm.. touche?).

Interestingly, a lot of this year's show was reminiscent of last year's. Two of the songs up for awards were performed for the first time at last year's show. Pink performed again, though in quite a new way that I give her props for--still, I wouldn't have minded if she wore more clothes..

Eminem won an award, and I thought about how much I would like to meet that guy. Then I watched half of his video that won, and decided nevermind. I'm intrigued simply by what I have heard about his life, and how he still has two daughters that he apparently makes sure to keep away from his music. Maybe the person I really want to meet is Lady Gaga. She wore an outfit in which you couldn't see her face! It was quite strange. Or maybe I want to hear from Kanye. Nah, he talks plenty on his own.

I guess I'm just lost in the idea that these people started out so much like us, didn't they? They had a family, went to school, and then became famous. I know they worked a lot at that last part, and that a lot of the stupid things they do now is all part of the scheme of staying in the limelight. But sometimes it's just so hard to remember this.

I'm thinking too, of a gal I went to high school with who is currently on the rise to Broadway fame. It's weird to think that I knew her and had some really good conversations with her about life and God. I also remember watching her play one of the leading roles in the play "Ragtime" and thinking, "Man, she's gonna be famous some day."

But then I think of the tension of being famous and changing the world. And there I get lost again..

A group of us watched a movie last night after the soccer game (oh, and after some delicious dessert!!). The premise is a couple trying to find where they should settle for the first few years of life with their impending child. While vastly inappropriate (unexpectedly so, I might add), there was a lot of truth. I hope I never cease to see truth amidst a secular world, and to know that it all comes from our loving Father who is continually poking us to see if we'll notice.

No comments: