Sunday, June 14, 2009

Pizza and the job offer

I was picked up from SFO about an hour and a half after the scheduled time. There was a problem with air traffic control, which translates, the clouds were too low and so instead of utilizing two runways (an international airport that only has two runways?), they used one. This also translates into a half hour nap in a standstill plane, and pure enjoyment of He's Just Not That Into You. There, I said it.

Since we were in the city however, the youth pastor for WCPres said we should eat there. So I got to see the famous sites. Alcatraz. Golden Gate bridge. Sea lions (pictures to come). Coit Tower. Trans America building (the pointy one). We ate at a pizza joint on Pier 39. My only sadness, is I didn't take enough pictures of everything I saw. After all, the city, as I described to someone who asked what I thought of the place, is fascinating.

The buildings, the signs for places (again, I wish I took a picture of a sign outside of a children's park to add to my collection on fb--"No loitering where children congregate." Oh? So children hold church meetings at the monkey bars now?), the people. All yes, fascinating. And who doesn't love the prospect of parallel parking on a 75 degree slope?

At Walnut Creek, we toured the church as well as some of the town. The good news is how close everything is.. very little driving would be involved. For one, the church owns two of the apartment buildings next to the church which share parking space. Talk about smart! They also offer the apartments at a lower rate to encourage the 20s-30s age range involvement within the church.

Dinner was at a pizza place. The youth leader had forgotten that we were going here when we picked lunch. Thankfully I could order something else. Here I met a couple of the parents, as well as I believe the Junior High guy and his wife. (Small world: his wife worked for Young Life at my high school's main rival.)

Went to the home I was staying at; a couple phone calls; sleep.

Church was a talk on the end of the Peter's speech at Pentecost. The idea was that on our own, we are headed for danger, but Christ (whom we crucified), is already here to free us. The glimpse into next week's talk about the church made me a little sad that I would miss out. Then came youth group, where the youth leader continued a series on David. It was at the point of David and Bathsheba losing their son, but at the same time, restoring the relationship with God through Solomon (which means peace).

Then lunch. More pizza. haha. I had chosen a variety all this time, so it really wasn't a big deal. Just funny. Got to meet a few more of the students before heading back home for a nap. When I awoke it was pretty much time for "Open Door," which is the ministry geared toward my age bracket. This time was refreshing and basically by the end (after worship, talk, post-dinner hang out time), I had a prospective roommate (if I come), and a friend who wants to make me eggplant stew.

And by the very end, I had a job offer.

1 comment:

The Fat Red Panda said...

You see, if you do this and are in SF, then you will be in SF and then John will visit SF and then I will hop over and visit you and John. And then amazingness will be plentiful. And yes, I'm a creeper, I suppose.

-Mr. Rajah