Thursday, June 18, 2009

Mike Yaconelli lives?

Ever since I got here, there have been Michael Yaconelli spottings. For those of you who don't know, the real M.Y. passed away several years ago. I even got to witness his final sermon at a South Carolina Youth Specialties conference. He talked about the ride with Christ being something radical. He was often talking about the radical:

“What is the deal with Christian colleges, anyway? Shouldn’t they be graduating students who are revolutionary, anti-institutional, anti-cultural extremists? Isn’t anyone else upset that most of our Christian colleges are graduating compliant, materialistic, irrelevant students who don’t have a radical bone in their bodies? Who will push the envelope in the generations to come?”
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Accepting the reality of our broken, flawed lives is the beginning of spirituality not because the spiritual life will remove our flaws but because we let go of seeking perfection and, instead, seek God, the one who is present in the tangledness of our lives. "

But I'm telling you, I keep seeing him. He walks around my neighborhood, usually carrying a bag of groceries. Just the other day, I realized I hadn't seen him in awhile. I checked my rearview mirror for any cars as I was leaving King Soopers. Mr. Yaconelli was RIGHT THERE!!

Obviously it couldn't be him, but it would be rather radical if it were, eh? I keep trying to catch him on camera somehow.. One of these days you'll understand!

No comments: