Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Spring Training

Somehow, I am already missing the 90 degree heat of Arizona. However, maybe it pertains more to the reason why I was in AZ, than the weather itself. Yes, my dad and I got to enjoy our first bout of Spring Training. Initial reaction: glorious.Day one, we arrived in Phoenix, and caught a Cubs v. Mariners game in Peoria. Parking was convenient, and ticket prices were reasonable. We got to sit first base side, in foul ball territory, as well as close to the area where the players entered the field. It was weird to be less than a couple of feet away from them.

And sure, not all of them were starters (it was a split line-up for all the games we went to), but they still have made it this far. So good for them, as Tammy would say. I liked seeing all the little kids stocking up on autographs and using their cute-ness to assuage the players to the fence for signing. I may have done that before (i.e. Rick Helling...). Any way..

Cubs win! All I can really remember was number 24 for the Mariners was a stud. And I'm sure it wasn't Griffey because he didn't play until the next day.
Then, after a more-than-necessary stop at In-n-Out, we searched for a hotel. Thankfully a couple vacancies were left in the Country Inn and Suites, where the San Diego Padres were staying. Basically I would just roam the hallways and find monsters for players, and many of them with rich, Dominican Republic accents. It was most intimidating to go for a run in the small work out room, and then have them come in to do some weight training. I may have sped up my running pace when they came in. haha.

Day 2, we drove to Tuscon for a Rangers v. Rockies game. This time super good seats, and 1 dollar hotdogs!! Rangers won, and while I only got to see Michael Young for half an inning, at least he hit a double during that time. Oh, and this had happened to a poor gal parked in foul ball territory. Oops! That evening, we hung out with dad's sister Alicia (who is awesome, and hand-makes tortillas!), and we enjoyed super delicious Mexican food. Carne asada, to be exact, as well as fresh fruit for dessert. I believe I may have eaten too much coconut; the proof is in the knowledge that coconut is a natural laxative. Yeah, probably too much information there, huh?The final day, we drove back to Tempe for a Angels v. Brewers game, where we sat on the lawn--very comfortable. This was probably the best baseball we had seen of the three days. Sad that it wasn't for a team we actually cared about, but perhaps we are destined to be the eternal optimists for the underdogs. Let's see, the highlight of this game for me was probably when this guy in the lawn with us was carrying a huge cup of beer, the ball is hit toward right field, where we are, and he tries so hard to get it. The catch was that he was actually no where near where the ball landed, and that he slipped and fell, spilling almost all of his drink on him. He probably lost 8 dollars with that one.

All in all, I love baseball. And dry heat. And getting to talk about baseball the following Sunday for High Impact (I also summarized the history of the Old Testament in about four minutes. LOL.). Good times.

1 comment:

dontbesassy said...

Ummm........
YOU WERE AT PEORIA SPORTS COMPLEX!?!? I flippin DRIVE BY peoria sports complex EVERY DAY to get to my house. ridiculous sharayah. instead of staying at a hotel you could have 1) stayed at our new hours or 2) stayed at our town house which is currently empty, for FREE. Both are like 1 minute away from PSC. But, you really did get to see where I live. That In-N-Out you ate at, yeah I frequent that often. More often, however, the applebees and chiles that are in that same complex. and across from In-N-Out, Arrowhead Mall...that's my mall.

so there you go, you saw my zona. without me there :(