Monday, August 16, 2010

Yo Jeter

Day four and five in New York.

Woke up Sunday rather excited to go to Redeemer Presbyterian, also referred to as Tim Keller's church. You know, like Mark Driscoll's church up in Seattle, right? Mr. Keller only preaches during the 6pm service, but I was happy to see what the body of believers in New York looks like. They meet at several different campuses throughout the Manhattan Island, so I picked the one that is pretty close, and doesn't start till 10:30. Dr. Lin preached about the Holy Spirit as the all-consuming (but not consumed) fire in Acts 2. I recommend you find the podcast, because it was very interesting! I liked the use of liturgy in the service, as well as the prayer offered by one of the congregation. Reminded me a lot of my times at Third Presbyterian in Richmond.

Met up with Kathryn right after (she had battled with the subway to get to church, and lost) for a quick Starbucks run before separating yet again. She went to a photography class while I went to the Empire State Building. The plan was I would wait in line, and she would join me after the class. Most research suggests the lines to the ESB are just as epic as the building itself.

However, I literally walked in the door, and was at the top within about half an hour (there are a few short lines for security and for the elevator after all). Beautiful. The views, I can not share with you, as I had left my camera in the apartment thinking I could get in on my way back from church. Oops. But for future reference, if you ever go to NYC, you must go to the top of the ESB. The views are too fun, and paying the extra money to go to the 102nd floor (as opposed to just the 86th) is worth it. The taller section is a much smaller area, yet not crowded either. And the men in uniform really are experts on the subject of the buildings and their history :P

Met up with Kathryn at the Flatiron building. I made her take a few pictures for me since I am impressed by the first skyrise in New York. Then it started to rain on us which we took advantage of. For you see, in Flatiron area, there is a famous burger joint known as Shake Shack. Typically, the line is at least an hour long, but since everyone wanted to avoid getting wet, we got through in 20 minutes. Hooray for short line number two for the day!

We couldn't think of what to do next. And then it hit us: let's be hipsters! NYC is a film capital after all, why not hit up an indie movie? It turned out we saw a really good one, one I think my pops would appreciate as it is about what makes art, art, and what can lead to the exploitation of art. I'll leave this link as a taste of what we experienced. Oh, and I should mention we were in Washington Square area by this point, close to Katz Delicatessen. That's right, I'll have what she's having.

It was still rainy and we must admit, we were tired. So we pretty much called it a night.

Today I decided two New York things were mine for the taking. The first: Ellis Island.

Before making my way to the southern tip of Manhattan, I rearranged my luggage so it was sufficiently supplied with what I needed in case I lose either one during transfer. I also had to make an extra key for my friend since one of the spare keys she had lent me wasn't working properly. During that time, I met a new friend, but I'll write about him in my other blog. Now, I was set to go.

Granted, all this time, I have not been using a map. I like looking up at buildings for my sense of direction, so I should have known that I would be helpless in the financial district, since I've mainly been midtown. I eventually found my good friend Battery Park, and proceeded to the truly epic line of all of New York. It is very clear that if you want to go to both Liberty and Ellis Island, you will need a day to see it properly. I only wanted to see one, so that helped me shave a few hours off my trip (outside of getting lost, that is!). In the process, I was blessed to meet another couple from California, which made the wait not as bad.I also would suggest paying for the audio guide, as it provided great information throughout the self-guided tour. I'm glad New York renovated the place, and am thankful for all the exciting additions such as clothes, passports, photographs and more. Definitely an important history lesson that we should review in our day!

Next came the long trip to the exact opposite side of Manhattan for a Yankees game. While I've always been taught to despise the Yankees, I remembered one thing. My favorite player is a Yankee: Yogi Berra. In fact, I saw someone wearing a tshirt jersey of his and thought long and hard about finding one myself. I remembered I didn't need it, but still. Close call.Besides, the Yanks lost (and I laughed at the fair weather fans), but at least Kathryn and I got to enjoy an important American pasttime.

No comments: