Saturday, August 14, 2010

Yo Brooklyn

Now I'm just in a New York state of mind or somethin'. I know, I know, cheap shot. But it's so fun to put "yo" in front of words now. In fact, at the Trailer Park Lounge last night, we had gotten into a conversation on how we would find the Cash Cab. Various jokes came into play, and it ultimately looked like I was finding it, pulling it over, taking out whoever was playing while holding a gun cocked sideways (kill shot!) and saying, "Yo cheesecake! Get outta my cab before I show you what's up." Too violent? I was thinking I'd make him an offer he couldn't refuse. bah dum cha!

More importantly, today we went to Brooklyn. The intention was to go to the museum there, but it didn't work out due to time constraints. It's okay though, walking the bridge was a treat in itself as you can see below:Afterwards, we hit up a coal oven pizza joint that's apparently the best NY pizza you could ever have. We waited an hour and a half in line and I started to wonder if they really just made those waiting feel starved and so they wouldn't know the difference. Just kidding. Grimaldi's doesn't have a top rating in Zagat's for nuthin'.Headed back to the Manhattan in order to try for the lottery tickets for West Side Story on Broadway. The way the lottery works (and this is pretty much for every show on Broadway just so you know), is you get to the theater 2.5 hours before the show starts. You put your name in a hat, and at 2 hours before the show, they call out a certain number of names who get orchestra seating (for WSS it was the first row--18 seats). If your name isn't called, then you can try to get tickets otherwise, but not at the discount lottery price.

We didn't win. But by the time we got there I realized how much I really did want to see it, so I was willing to shell out 50 bucks to go. Yeah, I like to live life on the edge. And I'm a fan of dressing up. :D

The play was so much better than what I was expecting. While Maria's voice was a little weak, I adored Tony. The dance sequences too, gasp! They blew me away with how much they utilized the stage space. Back to Tony, his voice during "Maria" gave me chills.

Plenty of great little laugh moments coupled with strong dance numbers and Spanish instead of English by the Sharks--I wanted to shout, "Yo Tony and Anita, that was awesome!"

No comments: