Monday, May 18, 2009

God >

I've read the passage from the book of John several times: He must become greater, I must become less (John 3:30).

I've always read this verse with an emphasis on the last part. That is, I try to do things (how ironic--doing "more") that put me less and less in the limelight, and I feel by doing so, I am obedient. My mom recently told me a story about a woman who looked at the verse that says I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me, without recognizing that it was Christ who did the work. She kept focusing on the fact that She could do all things, and neglected the rest.

Hearing that has reminded me that I do the same thing. I'm just as guilty. Because the process of becoming less includes making more of Christ instead. I am like an alcoholic who simply quits drinking, but doesn't put something there to replace the anxiety that led to excessively drinking in the first place. While I can take away the problem (I become less), I am not filling myself up with something healthier (Christ becomes greater).

What happens is I become less, while honestly still craving the recognition. I just finished a book where the author was convicted of the pride he felt when told that he was a great, "Our favorite," speaker. In his prayer to thank God afterward, he realized that he was getting the praise that God, and only God, deserved.

I like how the Message puts it: This is the assigned moment for Him to move into the center, while I slip off to the sidelines.

I had even gotten the order messed up. I thought that if I became less first, then He would naturally become more. The reality is the reverse. When Christ is at the center, and that is my first and foremost aim, then I will automatically become less.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GrrrrrrrrrEAT stuff! I find this is true for me too. I must make HIM more first. <3